On June 5, 2017, the School of Social Community Services hosted the Annual Partnership Appreciation Event to celebrate the many community partners who host, mentor and supervise students in field placements across the SSCS. The focus of the event was to highlight how important these partnerships are and to share the many ways that Humber can work with the community beyond field placements.
The day began with conversations over breakfast between agencies and Humber staff and faculty. This was followed by a Keynote speech from Derek Stockley, the Dean of the School of Social and Community Services. Next, each program honoured and highlighted an Agency of Distinction.
The day ended with a series of professional development sessions which included:
- How to leverage a partnership with Humber College
- Cannabis, Culture and the Criminal Justice Field
- Current Issues in Addictions and Mental Health
- Implementing Student Placements in your Organization
- Planning for Community Projects and Programs
There was a great turnout of Executive Directors, Volunteer Coordinators and Field Supervisors from across the Human and Justice Services fields. They were all excited for the opportunity to network and were appreciative for the professional development opportunity.
A special thank-you to those who organized these sessions including Amanda Brown, Daniel Bear, Dennis Long, Maria Barcelos, and Linda Hill.
We also would like to acknowledge the 2016-2017 agencies of distinction:
- Jean Tweed - Addictions and Mental Health Postgrad Program
- Hospital for Sick Children: Psychiatry Day Program - Child and Youth Care Degree Program
- Christie Ossington Neighbourhood Centre – Men’s Hostel - Criminal Justice Degree Program
- The Gatehouse - Community and Justice Services Diploma Program
- Hincks-Dellcrest (Day Treatment Program) - Child and Youth Care Diploma Program
- Oakwood Collegiate - Developmental Services Worker Diploma Program
- Applewood Center for Adult Learning - Social Service Worker Diploma Program (Lakeshore Campus)
- Bethall Hospice - Social Service Worker Diploma Program (Orangeville Campus)
We would like to thank all the Field Placement Coordinators, Seminar Instructors, Faculty Advisors, staff, faculty, student volunteers, and agency partners who came to celebrate our agencies and for all the work they do for our students and for Humber College. We look forward to continued partnerships with our agencies.